Sunday, July 19, 2009

Garden Zucchini Quiche

The mild taste and soft texture of zucchini melds perfectly with the egg and cream of quiche. This was my first time making quiche and despite a couple of disasters like not having cream, it overflowing because I put way too much vegetables in it, and cooking it at the wrong temperature (correct temperature listed in recipe below) it turned out tasty and delicious. Actually, the zucchini flavor went so well with the quiche, that next time I might try adding even more and cut back on some of the cream and egg as a result.

Zucchini Quiche:
1 pre-made pie crust (I bough mine already in pie pan ready to cook)
1 cup shreaded low-moisture mozerella
1/4 cup blue cheese (left over from blue cheese burger)
4 large eggs
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 small yellow zucchini, chopped
1 green zucchini, chopped
broccoli (not from garden, but left over from veggie tray)


Heat oven to 425 degrees

Fill crust with chopped zucchini until it is a little more then half full (I filled it too full, so maybe less is more)


Then top with broccoli. I like the broccoli on top because the parts of the flower that stick out the top get deliciously crispy while they cook.

Sprinkle the mozzarella and blue cheese over the top.

Mix eggs, cream and remaining ingredients and slowly poor over the top. I say slowly, because I ended out adding to much for the amount of veggies I put in the quiche. It overflowed slowly for 10 minutes on my counter, overflowed slowly on the way to the oven, and overflowed slowly during the cooking process (luckily I put it on a baking sheet in the oven). Sprinkle top with a little white pepper.



Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees (I had it in at 350 by mistake so it took forever).

Reduce oven temp to 300 degrees and bake for about 30 minutes or until you can insert a knife into the middle and have it emerge clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.




This quiche was so good! Even my husband, who claimed he wasn't that into quiche loved it. I am for sure going to try this again (mostly because the crusts come in packs of two). I was skeptical about not making the pie crust dough from scratch, but those pre-made ones have come a long way.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing wrong with premade crusts. I use the one that come rolled up in a box all the time. I can buy on sale and freeze and they don't get damaged as easily in the freezer as the ones in the pans. Then I can make one or two crust pies with them. The quiche sounds great.

    ReplyDelete