Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

My quest to use zucchini has continued. I have used it in pasta sauces, omelets, pizzas and any other place I could think of to shove some zucchini it into. Meanwhile, my dear husband has taken great pride in "inflicting" zucchini on his co-workers, family and friends.

Today, we ran out of zucchini. No, you did not misread that last sentence. I actually had two zucchini filled recipes planned for today, but did not have enough zucchini. In a urgent search through the garden I did find some other squashes (no idea what specifically they are), but was only able to find one additional green zucchini. Needless to say, you only get one zucchini recipe today. Good thing it is delicious.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter, soft
  • 1/2 cup olive oil (may substitute oil of your choice)
  • 1 cup brown sugar (check-out person at Trader Joe's suggested using brown sugar because his family's recipe uses brown sugar.
  • 1/2 cup sugar (mostly because I finished off my bag of brown sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract (should have been vanilla, but I didn't have any and I have overheard co-workers saying they always use almond extract in place of vanilla)
  • 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour (or whatever all purpose four you have lying around)
  • 2 tablespoons of high quality baking cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds (or nuts of choice), optional
  • 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
Directions
1. Pre-heat oven to 350

2. Shred zucchini.

3. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter oil and sugar.


4. Add the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; mix well.

5. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Gradually add to other mixture.




6. Stir in zucchini.


7. Spread into a greased 13-9 inch baking pan.

8. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts. I only sprinkles nuts over 2/3 of the pan because not everyone love nuts.

9. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove carefully because the chocolate chips are hot. I got some melted chocolate chip on one of my hot pads and then touched it by mistake. Ouch! On the same note, make sure to let it cool before eating.



Hope you enjoy this recipe! It was relatively easy to make, even with the constant interruption of tornado sirens. Brutus (my bulldog) and I spent sometime in the basement between steps of this recipe. It turned out moist and delicious with a light chocolate flavor that will keep you coming back for more. It is fabulous served warm with a cool glass of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment